Monday, May 18, 2009

New Blog

So hi everybody! I've started a blog for my art stuff, which will feature some works in progress, finished works, possible art reviews, video game reviews, maybe some makeup reviews, and whatever else I feel like including.

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to.

So you may be thinking "what is this 'Plastic Voyeurs' business?" Well, Plastic Voyeurs is the name of a large ongoing body of work that I've been developing for the past few years. It focuses on dolls as substitutes for human models in those provocative poses we tend to see in advertising and entertainment. "Plastic Voyeurs" has two meanings. One, the viewer takes the title for themselves:

"voy·eur (voi-yûr')
n.
A person who derives sexual gratification from observing the naked bodies or sexual acts of others, especially from a secret vantage point.
An obsessive observer of sordid or sensational subjects."

The "plastic" comes into play because the subject of voyeurism is a doll (technically though, the dolls I use are made of resin).

The other meaning can be transferred to the dolls themselves, as they are painted or photographed with a direct gaze to the viewer; in a way they are watching you too.

Frequently, I'm asked "why dolls?" I'm also told that they're "creepy" and make the viewer uncomfortable. I say, "Great! I'm doing my job!" The point of Plastic Voyeurs is to make the viewer uncomfortable! If you see a human model in the exact same pose, with the exact same look, you don't think twice. Maybe you even like it, right? (It's okay. You're supposed to. That's what they're going for.) But take out that human element, and then what? You feel disturbed.

Plastic Voyeurs examines the packaged "sexuality" that is being pushed on us non-stop. What I want people to keep in mind when they're viewing my work from the series is "What is sexuality? What is truly sexy?" Is it the pose? Is it the look? The lack of clothes? I've included all of those elements with the dolls, and yet, there's such a big difference with the audience's reaction. What is it about a doll VS. a human that makes that much difference?

You don't have to say it out loud, but these are the types of questions I'd like people to ask themselves when they see my work. Everyone will have their own answers and their own interpretations, and that's perfectly okay. Everyone brings their own set of "baggage" to any artwork which defines how they see and interpret things. If we all had the same opinions, well then, it just wouldn't be art.

1 comment: